What are homeless cats?
Homeless cats are sometimes called feral
- Always the result of pet owners' abandonment or failure to spay/neuter (S/N) their animals
- Many assume their animals will survive when they move away and leave them behind; domestic animals do not automatically return to their "natural" instincts and cannot fend for themselves
- They do not have the skills needed to survive outside unassisted
True ferals are not socialized to people
- Typically fearful of people
- Prefer to avoid contact with people
- Occasionally form bonds with caregivers
- They typically live in groups called colonies and have strong social bonds with their feline colony member
Who are feral cats?
Feral cats are healthy
Feral cats are protected under state anti-cruelty laws